Skip to main content


If you're a veteran who served on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces and were separated under honorable conditions, you may be eligible for veterans' preference, as well as other veteran specific hiring options.

Dedicated veterans website

Veterans' preference

With Veterans' Preference, you may receive preference over non-veteran applicants in the hiring process. Veterans' Preference can be used when applying to permanent and temporary positions in both the competitive and excepted service (of the executive branch).

There are three types of veterans' preferences:

How do I know a job is open to veterans?

In the job announcement look for the This job is open to section. When a job is open to veterans you'll see this icon: There may be other groups listed that can also apply.

You can also select the veterans filter in search. Your results will display all jobs open to Veterans.

Documents you may need

Claiming Veterans' Preference

When claiming Veterans' Preference, you must provide a copy of your DD-214, certificate of release or discharge from active duty or other acceptable documentation. Applicants claiming 10-point preference will need to submit Form SF-15 or other acceptable documentation.

  • SF-15
    Application for 10-point Veterans' Preference

    The SF-15 is used by federal agencies and OPM examining offices to adjudicate individuals' claims for Veterans' Preference.

    Note that a letter from the VA that contains the following may be sufficient instead of a SF-15:

    • Dates of service
    • Discharge status
    • Disability rating

Upload and submit through USAJOBS

You can upload and save documents to your USAJOBS account. Once uploaded, you can submit these forms with your job application as needed. Sign into USAJOBS or learn how to upload documents.

Search Jobs


Look for these options under the Hiring Path filter when searching.


Additional Resources

Other Hiring Paths